Major Hurricane Iota to hit Nicaragua tonight
Just two weeks after Hurricane Eta struck Nicaragua as a category 4 storm, Iota is forecast to make landfall in northeastern Nicaragua as a category 5 hurricane.
Rapid weakening is expected after Iota makes landfall, but catastrophic winds, life-threatening storm surge and heavy rainfall will impact the region.
Flooding and mudslides could occur in areas already damaged by Hurricane Eta; Hurricane Iota is expected to produce 10-20 inches of rainfall in Honduras, northern Nicaragua, Guatemala and southern Belize.
Follow the quick links to assess the impact in EigenPrism:
- Hurricane-Force Wind Probabilities – from 2020-11-16 to 2020-11-21
- Tropical-Storm-Force Wind Probabilities – from 2020-11-16 to 2020-11-21
- Hurricane Iota Forecast Wind Swath (Advisory 13A) – as of 2020-11-16
- Hurricane Iota Forecast Max Winds – as of 2020-11-16
- North America 3-Day Flood Potential – as of 2020-11-16
Don’t have access to EigenPrism?
Sign up for a trial account and access full impact reports of all events. Contact us and we’ll set up a trial account for you.